I started writing my ‘Best Dad’ newspaper column/blog in 2003. My longest running business blog for a client started in 2010. Both of them have been published every week without fail. Throw in other blogs for other clients, add a few speeches and it’s close to a million words.
Maybe it’s time to boil that down to around 20,000.
The Business Blogging Book will be published in September. It will contain everything I know about how to write a blog for your business – whether that business is men in suits, a travel blog, a food blog or a parent blog: any blog that you’re serious about.
Between now and publication I’ll be releasing sample chapters to anyone who’s interested. If you’d like to receive them, just use the contact form and I’ll happily add you to the list.
What will the book cover? Among other things:
- How to really know your audience – and understand the crucial difference between what you want to write and what they want to read
- How to develop a voice – and the key questions you need to ask yourself
- How to keep your voice consistent – and how to keep the quality of your writing consistently high
- How to make sure you never run out of subjects to write about
- How to develop characters that readers will engage with – yes, even in a business blog
- How to write – simply, effectively and consistently.
The book is based on years of experience with real businesses in the real world. All of my clients have taken the same call at some stage: “I’ve been reading your blog. I’d like to work with you.”
Blogging absolutely works – but it isn’t a short term solution and no-one should pretend it is. If you want to be told that consistently good blogging is easy and that you can write an outstanding 600 word blog post in 20 minutes then this is not the book for you.
But if you want to write a blog that you’re proud of; if you want to deliver consistently outstanding content; if, ultimately, you want clients – then you’re in the right place.
If you want to receive sample chapters as I write them let me know and I’ll make sure they’re sent to you.